Tuesday 27 May 2014

ELF Baked Blush Review

ELF Baked Blush in Pinkalicious 

ELF is a brand known for decent quality cheap makeup. I have personally been a fan of their products for a couple years, and when I was on their website and found they had started a Baked line I had to try some. When I purchased them, probably a year ago,  I wasn't overly impressed. Like at all, I threw out the baked eyeshadow I bought a couple weeks after I bought it.. It was only a dollar so I didn't really feel bad about it. The blush had managed to hide itself somewhere among my makeup collection, stashed away.

When I moved last month I did an evaluation of all my makeup and swatched nearly everything with my best friend, editing colours I didn't like and things I never used. The Baked Blush I had gotten from ELF was in the pile of "undecided". To be quiet honest, it was about a centimeter from being in the "get it away from me" pile. I hated it, and couldn't believe I had managed to keep it.

 I was so disappointed by the lack of pigment, honestly the ELF baked products ALMOST turned me off of baked products entirely. The colour wasn't a blush colour, like it had been marketed. HOWEVER I swatched it, noticed it didn't really show up, didn't really have much colour or anything, and then I saw it subtly glisten in the light. It hit me- HIGHLIGHTER!

Since I discovered it's secret highlighter purpose I've used it almost every day. I love this little gem, that I almost threw away. Overall, I am unimpressed with it as a blush, I'm not overly a fan of products that don't do what they say they should, like a blush not actually being a blush. But my best friend convinced me to keep it as a highlighter, and now I'm glad she did.

The slightly blended pink of the marble like packaging makes it a little more natural. It's not as white cast, but the colour isn't really pigmented, so it's not overpowering. The lightness of the sheer white is really natural, and it does reflect the light really well. Overall, I wouldn't recommend purchasing this particular shade, at least, with the intention of using it as a blush, but if you're in the market for a well-priced, decent quality highlighter (especially if you are new to using highlighters) I would say pick it up and try it out!


What kinds of hidden gems, with ulterior uses have you discovered recently? I would love to hear your thoughts!

My post today is up so late because it was absolutely beautiful outside, and I couldn't not spend the day, the whole day, outside. I threw the tennis ball for my dog, and enjoyed the beautiful tree that's blooming in the backyard.





4 comments:

  1. it looks really pretty
    and love the little doggy!

    xo

    Inspirations Have I None

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its really pretty looking, almost looks like a mac MSF!
    -Monica
    Shimmering Image

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it like a MAC MSF, because I've never had one. Potential dupe?

      Delete